- About Us
- Australia - Canada relations
- News Room
- Travelling to Australia
- Visas, Migration and Citizenship
- Americas Service Centre (ASC)
- Doing business with Australia
- Passports and Assistance for Australians (including notarial services)
- For Schools and Students
- Study in Australia & Working Holidays
- Events and Links
- ANZAC Centenary
- Contact Us
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Lodging a Visa or Citizenship by Descent Application
Important Tips When Making an Application in Ottawa
Application Charges and Fees
Current Processing Times and Status Checks for Applications processed by the Ottawa office
Status Checks for Online Applications
Character and police certificate requirements
IMPORTANT: You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.
The following lists are NOT exhaustive and refer only to the more common types of visas available. For more comprehensive information on all visa types, please refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.
The Visa finder tool can help you find the Australian visa most likely to meet your specific circumstances.
Studying and Training in Australia
Working in Australia
Temporary Work and Specialist Entry
Family Sponsored Temporary Visa
Migrating to Australia
The Citizenship Wizard will give you information on what to do and how to apply for Australian citizenship.
NOTE: For information on delivery and/or return of documents, please refer to item 6 under Important Tips When Making an Application in Ottawa
2. Proof of Australian Citizenship
3. Resumption of Australian Citizenship
4. Citizenship by Conferral
5. Renouncing Australian Citizenship
6. Citizenship by Birth in Australia
7. Adopted Children and Australian Citizenship
8. Dual Citizenship
9. Entering and Leaving Australia as an Australian Citizen
10. Other Citizenship Issues
Forms and Booklets
Our forms are subject to change. Generally, this occurs three times a year with fixed dates of March, July and November.
However, in certain circumstances there may be a requirement for publishing forms outside of these dates. Prior to submitting any application you should ensure that you have completed the most current form.