Australian High Commission
Responsibility for Bermuda

Travelling Australians

Services for Australians

Consular Assistance - What we can and cannot do

The Australian High Commission in Ottawa, the Australian Consulate-General in Toronto and the Australian Consulate in Vancouver provide a range of consular services. The Australian Consular Services Charter sets out the standards of service you can expect from consular staff and signifies our commitment to providing effective, prompt and courteous consular services, delivered equitably to all Australian Citizens.

Our area of Consular responsibility (where we can legally provide consular services) covers both Canada and Bermuda.

Our ability to provide consular functions is governed by international agreements and there are limits to the extent of help we can provide. For instance, it is important to remember that you are subject to the laws and regulations of Canada (and/or Bermuda). Providing you with consular assistance cannot override local law.

As at 1 July 2017, if you are a dual national in your country of other nationality (i.e. a dual Australian-Canadian citizen in Canada), we will only be able to assist in exceptional circumstances.

Consular services for permanent residents of Australia will be limited to crisis situations, including government-assisted evacuation when that is provided to Australian citizens.

It is recommended that all Australians travelling to or living in Canada access the latest travel advisory and register online with the Australian Government via Smartraveller.
See the latest travel advice at Smartraveller

Consular Assistance Outside Office Hours

In the event of an emergency, Australians in Canada or Bermuda should contact the Australian High Commission or Consulates. 
Contact details

After hours please contact the 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre at +61 2 6261 3305.

Legal Representation: Local Lawyers and Immigration Attorneys

The names and contact details of the law societies in Canada appearing below has been compiled by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) from publicly available information. DFAT does not endorse any of the law societies (or their lawyers) appearing on this list,
provides no guarantees as to its currency and does not accept any liability if you choose to engage one of these societies and/or its lawyers to provide legal services.

Law Society of Newfoundland P: +1 709 722-4740
F: +1 709 722-8902
Law Society of Prince Edward Island

P: +1 902 892-0853
F: +1 902 368-4096

Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia P: +1 800 665 9779 (toll free)
     +1 902 455 3135
Law Society of New Brunswick P: +1 506 458-8540
F: +1 506 451-1421
Law Society of Quebec / Barreau du Quebec P: +1 514 954-3400
F: +1 514 954-3477
Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario) P: +1 416 947-3308
F: +1 416 947-3600
Law Society of Manitoba P: +1 204 942-5571  
Law Society of Saskacthewan P: +1 306 569-8242
F: +1 306 352-2989
Law Society of Alberta P: +1 800 661-9003
P: +1 403 229-4700
The Canadian Bar Association of BC P: +1 800 663-1919
P: +1 604 687-3221
F: +1 604 669-9601
Law Society of Nunavut P: +1 867 979-2330
F: +1 867 979-2333

Law Society of Nortwest Territories P: +1 867 873-3828
F: +1 867 873-6344
Law Society of Yukon P: +1 867 668-4231
F: +1 867 667-7556


Other information

The following links provide information which may be of interest to Australians living in Canada and Bermuda.


Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand. Copies of the Statement are available at or by requesting a copy from the Department and/or The Australian High Commission, Ottawa.